Friday, October 28, 2011

Day Four

Day Four:

Today, I learned some classroom slang, which was strange for me to hear. I have a younger sister, but she definitely does not have the same lingo as these students! For example, apparently "Yeah Donnie!" means, "No, I do not understand the lesson.". This is something I will sincerely have to work on understanding, hah!

However, I didn't do much today. I lead the opening reading activity, which went surprisingly well. I was nervous about doing it with my freshman, because I figured they wouldn't be interested in it at all, and I wouldn't be able to spark discussion with them. They surprised me! They answered every question correctly, and even developed a small discussion on the topic. I was pretty proud!

I have officially survived my first week of practicum, and am very excited for what will be in store for next week (my first actual lesson!).

1 comment:

  1. OMG the slang for this class is hysterical. Today in class I could not quite catch what JL was saying...listen to him because I think you will hear more. They are really excited to be working with you. Some kids who are typically shy are volunteering a lot for you during the bell-ringers. They are excited about their stories and liked all of your comments and one-on-one talks today!!! Good job again!!! ANd first hour is appreciating your help with the dreaded essays...Glad we got to compare notes on how we scored the paragraphs and that we were so close on most of them...that is a good sign...

    ReplyDelete