Day Two:
In the sophomore honors class, I lead a reading activity
with them at the beginning of class. I had never spoken in front of high school
students before, so naturally it was a little rough. Hopefully if I just take a
deep breath before I say anything at all, my nerves will vanish. I also
supervised them peer grading and reviewing their introductory paragraphs to an
analytical essay. I gave support when needed, and also elaborated slightly on
the topic of “themes”.
The freshman applied English class learned about literary
terms today that were on a pretest the day before. I had created a PowerPoint
and a graphic organizer to allow them to follow along easily. I feel that the
presentation I tag teamed with my Cooperating Teacher (CT) went really well!
1. The
class was quite chatty, but we used it to our advantage and had some great
discussion about several of the terms, such as allusion.
2. I
feel that my CT and I came up with effective examples throughout the lesson that
allowed deeper understanding with the class.
3. I
noticed that I feed off of the classes positive energy, and although they are a
little talkative, I was able to spark some creative discussion and asked some
thought provoking questions.
However, there could have been some improvements.
1. I
feel that I did (and most likely will) have a difficult time keeping this class
on track as discussions will continuously develop.
2. I
wish that I could have had additional couple of minutes to get further in the
lesson, or perhaps finish it.
3. I
had planned for video clips to show, but unfortunately the technology did not
work. I need to learn how to be more flexible with sudden changes in my plan.
I thought you did a great job today with both classes. Thanks for helping the sophomores with the whole concept of expressing a theme. They sure want to just use one word as a theme. Ah, those freshmen. My aide and I both felt that today was the chattiest they have been all year. I am not quite sure why, but I have a feeling the new seating chart and introducing a new person into their environment probably contributed to this.Your power point was awesome - I loved the graphics and the design. It was perky and fun. Hopefully, we will get the video clips for the rest of the week. Your graphic organizer was being used - not sure if you noticed that. Thank you for helping tally things for me. Hope it is okay to give you some feed back here. If not, I sure hope you can delete this and let me know in the morning...See you bright and early...
ReplyDelete