You cannot teach a man anything; you can only help him find it within himself.
Today, in my seventh grade classroom, we read a story titled "The Teacher Who Changed My Life" by Nicholas Gage. To me and several others, this was a very moving and inspirational story. A poor man from Greece moved to America and hated school. A teacher made him see the beauty in literature and composition, and this poor man came to be a wealthy celebrated author. Essentially, what I hope to be for my students.
However, today this lesson failed me. Okay, maybe "fail" is a harsh word. 95% of the students understood the impact and even taught me a little something. However, four trouble making students in the back of the class just did not seem to care for any knowledge at all today.
Maybe it's because I grew up as an honors student. I was taught to respect my teachers and I had an undying thirst for knowledge. But I just don't seem to understand the laziness, the unwillingness to cooperate, the rudeness, and the flat out carelessness that these students are exhibiting. I want them to grow and learn, why don't they?
Comments like "English sucks" and "I don't need to learn how to write" obviously pierce my heart and send a tiny wave of shock over me, but it is expected. What I didn't expect was these girls to call me, an elder, stupid to my face. And then laugh at me. Luckily, I bit my tongue and held back my comments. I made them sit through the lesson and understand the story. And, for a bonus assignment, I made them write why they thought I was stupid.
Needless to say, I'm looking forward to reading their responses to me, if I get any.
Then, to top off the day, I found an assignment that I was very proud of thrown in the trash. This hurt my teacher soul quite a bit. Yet, I will continue to hold my head high and I will never back down from a teaching challenge or a learning moment.
These students will learn something from me no matter what.
No comments:
Post a Comment