Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Crafty Classroom!

The past few days I have been scrambling around searching for the perfect fabric and the ideal baby blue spray paint to cover my shoe boxes and plastic crates. Devoting an entire day to pure crafting was more exhausting than I could have imagined. Yet these efforts were not in vain! My desk at the school I am student teaching at simply looks adorable; I'd have to say I'm pretty proud of my newly found craft skills and organizational abilities.

That being said, I had my first teacher's institute today. Overall, nothing too exciting happened. I met the staff, got the low-down on the rules of the middle and high school, and found out I'll be teaching a drama class (Yikes!). My cooperating teacher is essentially the grown-up version of me. From our favorite book to our preferred style of shoes, there isn't much difference. To say the least, I'm thrilled to be working with this woman and cannot wait to find out what I can learn from her!

However, she has assigned me a task that I have been dreading. I knew eventually within these 14 weeks I would have to accept the responsibility of the 7th grade literature class. I just didn't expect it to be the very first day! Yet I cannot help but be incredibly excited to finally start teaching what I want, when I want!

Here is a sneak peek at my course...

Class Overview
        Unit One: Introduction (1 Week)
·         Why and What Do We Read
o   Fiction and Nonfiction
o   Articles and Magazines
o   Poetry and Lyrics
o   Photos and Illustrations
          Unit Two: Sense of Self (2 Weeks)
·         First Person Narratives
o   Building From The Past
·         Autobiographies and Biographies
o   We Are The Past, Present, and Future
·         Personal Narratives
o   Building From Your Past, Present, and Future
          Unit Three: Reading and Writing With Purpose (2 Weeks)
·         Persuasive Articles
o   Choosing a Target Audience
o   Being the Target Audience
·         Inspirational Texts
o   Understanding Perspective
o   Expressing Perspective
Unit Four: Multicultural Meaning (3 Weeks)
·         African-American
·         Mexican-American
·         Asian-American
·         American
Unit Five: Reading Without Regret (2 Weeks)
·         Science and Technology
·         Sport Literature
·         Historical Documents

·         Folktales

I've almost got one entire unit completed and it's only the first day!
More updates soon to come!

No comments:

Post a Comment